Bedrooms are where we recuperate from the hectic and stress-induced everyday life. A place that is an extension of ourselves, essentially a place where a sense of peace, comfort, and security are the topmost priorities.
The choice of interiors reflects the inhabitants’ personality, and bedrooms are perhaps the only place where we feel safe to be ourselves without any fear or hesitation. Choosing the right fixtures and window covers is an important aspect of home improvement, primarily based on your likes and dislikes.
The first step when choosing the blinds for your bedroom windows is understanding the difference between blinds and shades. The main difference between blinds and shades is the material, which is the fabric for shades, while blinds are made in multiple materials like fabric, wood, metal, or a composite for a harder look.
Windows are one of the main focal points of a room, and the blinds you choose for them should be both functional and decorative, in harmony with the room’s ambience. Being prepared before you go blind shopping is important by considering the following aspects:
- Privacy or Light: Ascertain whether you want your room to be cosy with a closed look achieved with block-out blinds or bright and airy.
- Budget: The market is flooded with various blinds, which are both readily available and can be customised. Knowing your budget and style will help you narrow down the options. Keep in mind that window dressing prices are based on the size and area of the window.
- Maintenance: Blinds need basic maintenance, and dusting them will be an added chore, unlike the drapes, which are washed or dry-cleaned periodically. Venetian Blinds need to be cleaned regularly as they gather dust on their horizontal slats. Although specialised dusting tools are available, it is better to choose prints and neutral shades if your home is in an area with more dust or on main roads, as they hide dust better in case you do not get time to clean them.
- Safety: If you have kids and pets at home, choose blinds with cords on the back or cordless blinds to avoid accidents.
- Your preferences: Is your preference for decorating casual or formal? Do you like bold colours or subtle tones? Elegance over bold statement? Using subtle undertones in the bedroom is advisable, as colours have their language and noise, and keeping the bedrooms as quiet as possible is advisable for peaceful rest and sleep.
Once you have streamlined your preferences, it is time to look at the types of available blinds.
Horizontal blinds: Horizontal blinds, like roman blinds, have wider horizontal slats, which make the windows look larger, creating an illusion of spaciousness in the room. The slats are crafted to sit in neat flat folds and are easy to maintain. They are best suited for smaller bedrooms to give them a wider, breathier look and for bedrooms facing the street, as they absorb and mute sound. Available in 3 styles, with the best brands in the business:
- Classic, which has an affront cord and valance for that classic old-world charm.
- Sewless comes without a valance with a rear cord and is a good option for homes with kids.
- Plantation, with its timber slats, front cord, and valance, is ideal for the cosy comfort you wish to create in your bedroom or den.
Vertical blinds: Vertical blinds for windows are among the most popular choices. With their special feature of vertical batons, they are perfect for windows that are wider than their height. If your bedroom has wide picture windows and sliding doors that open to a private patio or balcony, then vertical blinds are the best fit. The blinds, when drawn, create the illusion of narrower windows, giving the room a cozy, warm look. The classic style is versatile and available in new styles, offering a sophisticated look. They are also a good choice for blocking blinds and providing privacy by insulating light and noise while conserving energy. The tiltable louvres allow you to choose privacy or light with the touch of a hand or enjoy your privacy with a view of the outside world through the tilted louvres.
Blinds are available in varied styles, materials, colours and designs for you to choose from, creating a mood, a style statement, and a haven just by adding the right blinds to your inner sanctum.
Read more interesting articles at Insane Yards
Leave a Reply